Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Winter Minestrone

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Let's get straight to the recipe today, folks. You may, or may not, know this but I am a big soup eater. It's the perfect compliment to just about any meal. It's usually low in calories. And in the case of this soup, I can mindlessly make it while the Superbowl is on.


This minestrone is pretty adaptable, so feel free to throw in any other add-ins that you see fit. Beans would be a great addition. I would have put some in, but I was completely out! The horror!

It's very likely that I posted something like this before, but every separate winter needs its own separate minestrone. Amen to that!

This makes roughly four servings and freezes like a dream. Try this out; you'll never regret a good soup!

Winter Minestrone


2 cups veggie stock
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 cup carrots, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen green beans
2 tsp garlic
dried basil
dried parsley
1/2 cup dried pasta

Directions:

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a dutch oven. Saute the onion and garlic until the onion becomes translucent, roughly ten minutes. Add the carrots, saute another 5-8 minutes. Give the basil and parsley a liberal shake over the vegetables and stir. Pour in the stock and crushed tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.

Add in the frozen vegetables and dried pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender, 10-15 minutes. Now, eat, eat, and eat some more!

Are you guys soup lovers? What are your favorite ones? Link 'em up in the comment section!!

14 comments:

  1. broccoli cheddar, tomato basil, lobster bisque, lentil soup, vegetable squash soup :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lentil soups!! One of my favorites to make :D

      Delete
    2. http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/curried-lentil-soup :D try this one!

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of soup in the winter months! My favorite is a pumpkin soup my dad makes, with hunks of gruyere in there. Holy YUM!!

    Have a great weekend Liz :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks fabulous! I grew up in Missouri and loved soup during the winter and even though I live in LA and enjoy the warm winters, I still love soup in the winter because it reminds me of home! I love lentil soups, potato, and lobster bisque is my all-time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster bisque is delicious!! One of my favorites, too!

      Delete
  4. I have learn a few just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you place to make one of these fantastic informative web site.
    Colgate Classica I Foam Crib Mattress, White

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a complete soup whore - I could eat it every day and never get sick of it - here are some of my favorites on my recipe index page (which I am about 300+ recipes behind on linking to!)

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/index-of-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll have to go and check some of them out :D

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious! I bet you could even add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy!great blog!!! following you now...

    visit my blog too...

    http://voguelyvan.blogspot.com/

    kissses!!!

    ReplyDelete