Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chewy Lemon Cookies

I recently started watching The Chew, and while the show definitely has a few kinks to work out, it's still pretty entertaining (especially when compared to the awful The Revolution that follows). The hosts are personable and dialogue flows--something that when it's missing makes talk shows rrreeaalllyy awkward.


Monday's episode was all about guilty pleasures. The hosts talked about decadent pastas and desserts. One of them made a mimosa that had me wishing it was after five. And Clinton Kelly reaffirmed his place in my heart by coming clean with his love of ironing and Judge Judy.

What a man.

I used to love Judge Judy. When I was a wee teen, I would come home from school and hole up on the couch with my carton of ice cream and Judy.

Mom, if you're reading this you now know why we would go through so much ice cream.

I never really understood the cases Judy listened to (who cares about your stupid flower pot?!) but I liked her don't-mess-attitude, and how cool was it that she had that security guard guy bring her all the evidence? That's real power-never leaving the bench.

She also had an uncanny resemblance to my grandmother.

I haven't watched Judge Judy in years, but I would totally be open to a little quality JJ time with Clinton Kelly. Hey Clint, you can take this as an open invitation. I'll even let you iron my shirts.

What are your guilty pleasures?

Mine are cookies. All types. All shapes. Give me a cookie and I am a very happy girl :D

These cookies below were made for my Christmas cookie baskets that I give to my family each year. I'm a bit late in posting them, but thankfully cookie recipes don't go stale. Hope you give them a try!

Chewy Lemon Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups, plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg + 1 yolk, room temperature
2 tbsp lemon juice (preferably fresh)
2 tsp grated lemon zest (can omit if you don't have fresh lemon juice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract

Direction:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Add eggs and once combined, whisk in the vanilla and lemon extracts, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix in the flour mixture until a dough forms. Don't be afraid to use your hands, here!

Scoop golf-ball sized balls of dough onto a prepared pan about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the middle is set and the edges are slightly golden. Let rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

These are great cookie for gifts, as they're nice and sturdy. Put them in cute little bags and share with friends!

Or eat them all yourself. That's cool, too.

6 comments:

  1. Yum!! They sound delicious and so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute (and tasty) gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't seen an episode of the chew, but it sounds like my kinda show. These lemon cookies sound great. My biggest guilty pleasure is potato chips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try potato chip cookies. Sound strange--but they are ah-mazing!! Thanks for reading :D

      Delete