Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Bars

This weekend a friend and I visited University of Illinois' College of Law.  I'm trying to decide between them and another school for where I'll end up next year, and in classic Rory Gilmore fashion, I have started a pro-con list.  I am not even a little ashamed to admit that about 70% of the pro-side for U of I includes food.  

Gotta keep the important things in mind, right?

My friend and I stayed with a couple that she had gone to law school with, and she asked me to bake something for a little thank-you-gift.  Well, you don't have to tell me twice; Im always looking for ways to pawn my baked goods off on people.  I was originally going to make brownies, but when I found this recipe for pumpkin pie bars (and remembered the pumpkin-buying-binge that left me with about six cans in my pantry) there was really no other choice.


I know we're a bit past the pumpkin season, but if you also have some pumpkin wedged in the back of your pantry between the overbought marinara and bbq sauce, then you need to make these.


Their texture is almost identical to pumpkin pie (without the crust, of course) and the flavors are warm and spicy.  They're the perfect afternoon pick-me-up.

Pumpkin Pie Bars

2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups light brown sugar (can sub dark if that's all you have)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Mix the flour, nutmeg, ginger, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.  Set aside.


Melt butter and then add the brown sugar, mixing until combined.  Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk together until incorporated.  Add the flour mixture in two batches, using a spatula to combine.  Pour into a prepared 9x13 baking dish.  


Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let cool completely before cutting into squares.


Source:  Steph's Bite by Bite

10 comments:

  1. Oooh these look AMAZING! I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look yummy. I do still have a pumpin puree can in my pantry and have been wondering what to make with it. this might just have to be it - they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! These look really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be excited to hear where you decide to go! I can tell you what I know from being the wife of a law student :) including that anyone would be grateful for these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear any insight that you have! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pumpkin Pie Bars? Yes please! Those look loaded with yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! They are one of the best things to come out of my kitchen in a while. And they're so easy to make!

      Delete