Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Coconut Brown Rice with Brussels Sprouts

I have a slight problem.

Lately, I have been putting coconut in everything. Oatmeal? Sure, why not! Yogurt? Can only make it better! Minestrone?

Okay, I didn't put it in my minestrone, but I think you catch my drift. I'm going through a phase. A very coconut-ey phase.

I found a can of lite coconut milk in the back of my cabinet last week and used it for a pretty amazing pumpkin-coconut-smoothie. It didn't use all of the coconut milk, though, and I wanted to use the leftovers for something other than additional smoothies or overnight oats. I wanted to stretch my savory-food-muscles but realized that my ideas for coconut milk recipes were pretty limited. Luckily, I have these fantastic things called food blogs.

Have you heard of them?

I found a recipe for coconut brown rice on SkinnyTaste and it was like coconut-flavored-fate. The coconut milk lends a wonderful creaminess to the rice and it pairs beautifully with the brussels sprouts. Feel free to give the brussels sprouts a little saute, if you're so inclined. I considered doing it myself but decided I preferred minimal effort. Serve this alongside a big salad for a tasty meal!
Coconut Brown Rice with Brussels Sprouts


1 cup brown rice
1 cup water
1 cup lite coconut milk
2 cups brussels sprouts
1 tbsp shredded coconut
1 tbsp slivered almonds

Directions:

Combine the brown rice, water and coconut milk in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare your brussels sprouts. Cut off the tough stem and peel off the outer leaves. Bring water to a boil in a separate sauce pan and cook the brussels sprouts until a knife slides in and out easily, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and slice in half.

Combine the brown rice and brussels sprouts in a bowl. Set aside.

Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add the coconut and slivered almonds. Toast the coconut and almonds until they are lightly browned. Sprinkle over the brown rice and brussels sprouts. And eat!

10 comments:

  1. this sounds yummy. I'm not a big fan of brussel sprouts but I'm sure I can substitute it for broccoli? Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut milk in my rice...what a fabulous idea! Can't believe I've never tried this before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! You should try making ice cream from coconut milk! It's my fav! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Brussel sprouts are my favorite vegetable. I can see how adding the coconut flavor would give it that extra "kick"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a super fan of Brussel sprouts, but you might have just made me a believer!

    ReplyDelete