Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Saturday, August 7, 2010

I'm Back!

SO looks like Liz was quite busy with this blog while I was away. I am hoping to get back into the swing of things since I have been gone for a week. Unfortunately I wasn't able to post at all while on my venture in Orlando because I had no internet! Or at least not free internet anyway. I was quite upset to find our villa right in the heart of Orlando, Florida which was conveniently located 5 minutes from Universal, had no free wifi!

I got over it though mostly because the trip was absolutely amazing. It was my family and another family of five and I am proud to say I didn't kill my body with gross vacation food nor deprive it from the wonderfulness that are sweets and frozen yogurt. Although I did not workout at all, I did my fair share of walking and my sister and I totaled our walking to about 7-8 miles daily just from walking around in the parks.

Yes we managed to hit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure! I was honestly astounded by the sheer amount of people that were there each day.

Some highlights of my trip:

1) Sweet Tomatoes: A fabulous healthy restaurant based on healthy living habits and portion sizes! Has anybody gone to this place, or know one similar to it? Although I don't have pictures, I can tell you what I had to eat; potato and leek soup, oat bran muffin, pumpkin spinach salad, asian tossed salad and a little frozen yogurt with granola.

2) The Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Prepare for pictures! Are you ready? Well here they are!









3) Family Feud: We were part of the live studio audience for two episodes of Family Feud which will be airing September 13th :) Look for me with the yellow halter top!!

4) Long bike ride to the island off the coast of our resort only to find we were trespassing followed by paddle boat races! The girls one so we got a chance to rub it in the boys' faces for a good few hours!

5) Tons of sand volleyball! It had been such a long time since I've played but it was great exercise and I got a great tan. So win, win!

Oh and I came to an interesting revelation: *Cue story time that transitions into actual point* Over the past year I am been experimenting with eliminating meat from my diet. I am not a big red meat eater at all, in fact I maybe have it once every 3 months when I go back home. I like chicken but I could really do without it if I wanted to. Unfortunately I am not a big fish eater, in fact until I had some tempura fish at a Chinese Buffet, I hadn't considered fully converting over. However, I realized that I need to try this venture again whilst I am at school. I think this year I can make it work since I will be cooking for myself! If it doesn't work out I will be doing something my friend calls the 'chickitarian' diet in which the only meat you have is chicken. I return in less than a week so that is when it will begin. From this point on I will be trying to eat a balanced pescartarian diet! Wish me luck!

Does anyone have any good advice for me or tips on this new venture? I'd love all the help I can get and I would love your support :)


So that was a rdidicuously long post but I had to fill you in because I missed you :) See you all tomorrow morning where I will be rummaging through my empty fridge in refuge of something tasty!

xoxo Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment