Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Monday, April 30, 2012

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

It has been too long since I've posted a cupcake recipe here.  I used to be all about the cupcake baking, but found myself drawn more toward cookies lately.  A large part of that is cookies' portability.  It's sort of hard to get cupcakes with mounds of buttercream across town on foot.  I don't think you could accidentally drop them and still deliver them unscathed.

I did this with cookies once.  The bag I was carrying them ripped and they tumbled out onto the sidewalk.  Luckily I had the cookies in a separate ziploc bag (I was carrying that bag in a grocery store one) and they were just fine.

I didn't tell the people they were for about the little tumble, though.  If they are reading this, they are probably gagging.  I promise, they were fine!  A little crumbly, but definitely edible.

Anyway, I pretty much only make cupcakes now if I am having people over.  No transport.  No tumble danger.  I had some friends over this past weekend and I made these cupcakes.


They were a crowd pleaser.

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes


For the cake:


2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/3 cup white sugar
3 egg whites, at room temperature
8 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 cup milk
24 oreo halves
20 oreos, crushed


For the frosting:


8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp heavy cream


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cupcake pan with cupcake sleeves and put an oreo half at the bottom of each, cream side up.  Set aside.


Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg whites one at a time, mixing until just incorporated.  Add half of the flour mixture and combine.  Pour in the milk, and mix until just incorporated.  Add the remainder of the flour mixture and combine.  Fold in the crushed oreos.


Divide the batter evenly between the 24 muffin liners.  Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  You may need to leave them in longer depending on your oven.  Mine had to stay in for about 22 minutes.


For the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter.  Add the vanilla extract and combine.  Mix in the powdered sugar, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Next, add the heavy cream and mix until the frosting is light and fluffly, about 4 minutes.


Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.  Garnish with half an oreo cookie.

And eat.
The end.

15 comments:

  1. My boyfriend is a huge cookies n' cream fan... I am definitely going to have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look absolutely fantastic! i love cookies and cream flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes look so yummy, Liz! I think I just might HAVE to make them as a tribute to my favorite ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! :) I'm not a huge cream cheese fan though- can you recommend another type of frosting that would taste good with this? I'm thinking I'll need to make these this upcoming weekend for surviving the last week of classes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! You could do a regular whipped cream with oreo pieces mixed in. Or a vanilla buttercream. I would probably recommend the whipped cream because it's a lighter consistency -- but either would be delicious!

      Delete
  5. YUM!! I made Cookies n Cream brownies the other day...oreos just belong in baked goods. SO delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These remind me of Martha Stewarts oreo cheesecake cupcakes. They are freaking awesome, and yours look divine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. I wish these were oreo cheesecake cupcakes! That sounds amazing!!!

      Delete
  7. You need to get one of those cupcake carrier contraptions! (This is what I have: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/cupcake-carrier--silvertone-red-24-cup-target)

    It's awesome for when you want to bring desserts to work or a party!

    These cupcakes look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete