Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Friday, April 27, 2012

Baked Apple with Ricotta Cheese

This recipe is a fooler.  I know the title says baked apple, but this is made entirely in the microwave.  No need to mess with ovens and end up leaving it on for hours after you've finished using it.  Or maybe you're all responsible and actually remember to turn off your oven.  All I know is that if my oven was gas and not electric, I would be racking up quite a bill.


I love to end my dinners with something sweet, and this is the perfect dessert.  It's more special than a cookie or piece of chocolate.  The apple even makes it pseudo healthy.  I tend to buy apples in bulk, so I make this pretty often.  I love how quickly it comes together, and ricotta cheese is just about the greatest thing since sliced bread and wet Colin Firth.


Yeah, this picture has definitely been on the blog three times now.  I regret nothing.

A recipe this deceptively simple might suggest that it can't stand up to its more elaborate cousins.  Don't be fooled by the microwaving, though. The apples become the most delectable pie filling that pair wonderfully with the creamy ricotta.  It's good stuff.

Baked Apple with Ricotta Cheese


Ingredients:

1 apple
cinnamon
sugar
1/4 cup ricotta

Directions:

Core and slice the apple.  Arrange the apple in a small ramekin, and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. No need to really measure here, but make sure you don't have too much of a heavy hand with the cinnamon.  Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 1 minute.  Remove and let cool slightly.

Place the cooked apples on a plate.  Cover with ricotta.  Prepare to have your mind blown.

7 comments:

  1. I've tried to stop needing something sweet after dinner...this seems impossible. Great idea to curb the sugary cravings, minus all the (in my case) chocolate!

    Have a great weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate would probably be a great addition to this, lol. Just as good without it, though! Hope you enjoy your weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. I love how simple this is! And healthy...I'm totally calling it that so I can justify it as a late night snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there such a term as comfort foods? Home style comfort foods are simply the food that is prepared at home which gives a sense of well-being. This food is basically with high sugar or carbohydrates. Home style comfort foods may include vegetable chicken soup, mashed potatoes with bacon and onions, crispy fried chicken with gravy, and gelatin. While some of the aforementioned comfort food are soul-soothing foods, keep in mind that you should eat in moderation. Home-style comfort foods are soothing for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cupcakes are great, but many are wondering how this little birthday and school room treat has come to create such a fuss. Not only are cupcake comfort food recipes eateries springing up across the country, from home-style Magnolia Bakery on the East Coast to Sprinkles in Beverly Hills, but these once quaint cakes are being served everywhere - even at black tie events!

    ReplyDelete