Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Monday, April 16, 2012

Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo

This weekend I fully embraced my nerd by going to my first comic book convention.  On Saturday I went to the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2), and I have to say that I had the most amazing time.  Everything that you've heard about comic conventions are pretty much true.  People dress up.  You take pictures with them.  You fangirl about every eight seconds.


C2E2 was held at McCormick Place and it was absolutely packed.  In the main convention area, it was so crowded that you could barely move.  That worked quite well for ogling all of the merchandise, though!  They had a number of panels going on throughout the day with famous people from the sci-fi world.  If you're a Doctor Who fan, John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) was there.  I went to his panel and was just about dancing in my seat.

I love this man.

I also went to Nicholas Brendon's panel, who played Xander Harris on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I got the last question of the panel and although I completely embarrassed myself (in front of him and about 100 people, no less) it was completely worth it.  And now I can say that I technically had a conversation with Xander Harris.  Freaking out a bit right now just thinking about it!!

Random tidbit: He kept drinking water straight from the pitcher while proclaiming that he was, "cutting out the middle man."  If I were about fifteen years older, we would be married.

My favorite part of the day was probably all of the people in costume.  At these conventions, it is totally normal to freak out over someone's costume and ask for a picture.  It's actually a pretty nice compliment if someone comes up to you and whips out there camera.  Therefore, I gave out a whole lot of compliments.

Talking with a stormtrooper is sort of terrifying, even when you are marginally sure they won't shoot you.  

I literally dropped all of my belonging when I saw him, and then made him stand awkwardly while I took eighteen hours to find my camera.  So worth it, though.

Darth Vader, you've got nothing on me.

I had the most amazing time on Saturday.  It was so much fun to be surrounded with people as nerdy and completely obsessed as I am.  I had more intense conversations with people over their favorite Doctor or Buffy episode than I can count.  It was my first convention, and I can 100% say that it will not be my last.

Have you been to any conventions/expos like this?  Did you like it?

8 comments:

  1. I've never been to something like this, but I think my husband and I would have a TON of fun! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to any expo of this sort but I would loooooove to have my picture taken with a storm trooper! :)
    We share the same life goals: forget a white wedding dress, I want a tweed white Chanel suit tout suite!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I was freaking out when I saw the storm trooper. Actually, I sort of freaked out at every costume! lol

      Delete
  3. Haha, lots of potential boyfriends in this post, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha, they actually had speed dating. My friends and I were going to go until we started seeing some of the creepers there, lol.

      Delete
  4. Adorbs. Also, we need to start planning costumes for the con in August. 'Kay? 'Kay. <3 MOB

    ReplyDelete