Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Straight-From-Heaven Sugar Cookies

Yesterday some guy used Steve Jobs to hit on me. While we waited at a stoplight. Needless to say, we did not exchange numbers.

Too soon, dude.

On a better note, I brought brownies to work yesterday and they were gone before 10 AM. I consider this quite the feat because that is a whole lot of sugar to be consumed before The View even starts. Star Jones would be proud.

I'm not giving you that recipe today. Mainly because I am sitting at a coffee shop without my camera cord. And the pictures are pretty bad, even for me. That last fact will not keep me from posting them next week. I apologize in advance.

Anyhoo, instead of brownies I am giving you a cookie recipe. Anyone know those thick sugar cookies from Dominick's? The ones so buttery that they leave a glistening sheen on your fingers after you're finished? Like 'em? Love 'em? Well, hold on to your hats. I've got a recipe.

Straight From Heaven (or Dominick's) Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 sticks butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
5 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and extract, mixing until combined. Mix in the flour mixture with a spatula. Make sure to scrape the bottom.

Cover the dough and let chill for 1 hour.

Scoop a scant 1/4 cup of dough and roll into a ball. Place on prepared cookie sheets and gently press down the center. If you are making them with sprinkles (and no frosting) press the sprinkles gently into the dough. Leave about two inches between cookies. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until set. I would recommend checking at 10 minutes because these are really ones that you don't want over-baked. The edges should only be slightly browned.

Remove and let sit for five minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.


I chose not to use frosting for these because I didn't know how it would hold at room temperature. If you like frosting, though, you can make a simple frosting with butter, powdered sugar, and milk.


For the chocolate drizzle, melt chocolate and drizzle over the cookies. Let set completely before touching.

Source: Annie's Eats

7 comments:

  1. Ohh, these look perfect! I used to get sugar cookies just like these all the time at the market when I was younger. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those adorable! I especially like the ones with sprinkles, even though I don't actually like eating sprinkles. Go figure.

    I'm really curious as to what that lame guy said about Steve Jobs in his pick up line...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison- He brought it up in a flirty tone to try to make conversation with me. I was like...um, no. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also brought it brownies to work today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a love of sugar before The View...and really, it's so needed to get me through that show!

    Sugar cookies are one of my favorites...they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar cookies with rainbow sprinkles are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh those look super delicious!

    Sorry about the awkward pick up moment. Some guys just don't get it...

    ReplyDelete