Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Soba Noodle Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce

Soba noodles are my new best friend. Yes, they are made of buckwheat. Yes, they are healthy. Yes, they slightly resemble worms. Dressed up, though, they pack quite a punch.


Everything is better with the right packaging. Perfectly wrapped gifts. Men in suits. Patrick Dempsey in hospital scrubs. Alexander Skarsgard in...er...nothing. And soba noodles are no different. Except they don't wear suits or hospital scrubs; because that would be weird.


If you haven't tried soba noodles yet, do it. Not that I am trying to peer pressure you or anything, but all the cool bloggers are doing it.

<>

Seriously, though...give it a try. Your life will be exponentially better! At least the part in the kitchen...

Soba Noodle Stir-fry with Peanut Sauce


Ingredients:

soba noodles
shredded cabbage
carrot, shredded
tofu
peanut butter
soy sauce
honey/agave

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Press tofu and slice into bite size pieces. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil and add the tofu in an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes and then flip the tofu. Another five minutes and remove from the oven.

Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the soba noodles. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender. Remove to a strainer and wash noodles. Add the tofu, shredded cabbage, and shredded carrot.

In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, and honey. Vary the ratio to match your taste. More soy sauce lends a sharper, saltier flavor which I prefer. Honey makes it sweeter. Peanut butter make it more, well, peanut butter-y.

Add the sauce and mix. Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! Are soba noodles gf if they are made out of buckwheat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison--I'm actually not sure. I looked on the package but it didn't say anything. Sorry I can't be of more help!! I'm sure you could always google it though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I did the 100% gluten free thing for a bit I devoured soba noodles. And they were delicious! I haven't had them for a while, thanks for the reminder. :)

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. --I am drooling. I wish I had this for dinner tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. soba noodles and peanut sauce- one of my all time favorite combo!

    ReplyDelete