Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Monday, August 13, 2012

Steak Salad with Lemon-Parmesan Vinaigrette

Did you guys watch the Olympic closing ceremonies last night??  I was out for the first half and was really worried that I missed the Spice Girls reunion.  Luckily, it came on later when I was curled up on my couch with my jammies and ice cream.  Those women are total rock stars.  They were by far the best performance and the dance moves and singing were so spot-on that I felt like I was reliving my childhood.


Other favorites were the Monty Python bit, Russel Brand (I can't believe I just typed that), and the Top 40 part with DJ Fatboy Slim.  Some of the other numbers, though, I didn't really understand.  Like, why did the ceremonies end with that random band that nobody ever heard of?  Okay...maybe my family just never heard of them, but I still think it was a weird choice.

Seeing that this is a food blog, I do have a recipe for you.  I can't think of a decent transition, though, so....

**Insert Decent Transition Here**

I've been trying to eat healthier lunches since I've been home, because I don't want to go off to law school with an extra ten pounds.  That's reserved for all the stress eating after I start law school.  The problem with eating healthy at home, though, is that we usually have so many leftovers that it's silly to cook up something separate for lunch.  Therefore, I've been trying to utilize leftovers for healthy different lunches.  Some have been less than successful, but occasionally I hit the jackpot.

Steak Salad with Lemon-Parmesan Vinaigrette

Ingredients: 

1 steak filet, sliced
1 zucchini, chopped
olive oil
lemon juice
parmesan cheese
1/2 head romaine, chopped

Directions:

Heat a grill pan over medium heat.  Season the filet with salt and pepper on both sides.  Place on the grill pan and cook roughly 5 minutes per side for a medium-rare steak.  Set aside and let rest for 10-15 minutes.

In a saute pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add the chopped zucchini and cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender.  Set aside. 

For the vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice until emulsified.  Adjust the amount of each depending on how acidic you like your dressing.  More lemon if you enjoy acidity, less if you don't.  Mix in the parmesan.  Combine all of the ingredients and toss to mix.

Serves: 1

18 comments:

  1. This salad sounds like a great way to use up leftovers! I love the vinaigrette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It was definitely one of my favorites that I've made!

      Delete
  2. Aww, thanks Ashlee!!! I'm glad you liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get to see the performance but hope to watch it online soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this salad! Looks like a perfect lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also on the quest for healthy but filling lunches. It is so hard!

    I loved the Spice Girls performance. I did not want it to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I would have liked about eight more songs :D

      Delete
  6. I can't believe I MISSED the Spice Girls reunion!! I'm actually really mad about it! I heard they were phenomenal. And that salad looks like the bomb! Making it asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youtube it!! And I'm glad you're making the salad :D Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  7. This looks and sounds delicious - a perfect summer meal. Thanks for the recipe. I loved the Spice Girls' performance too.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete