Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lemon-Pepper Kale

When I started law school, I thought it would be a bit like undergrad.  Sure, everyone told me how different it would be from all of my other school experiences, but I just sort of humored them with a, "Yeah.  Sure.  Of course it will be" and went on my merry way.  Well, four days in and I can honestly say it is nothing like undergrad.  I think I've spent more hours in the library this week than my entire four years of college combined.  Just this week I've read around 100 pages of cases and legal analysis.  Luckily I like it, otherwise I'd be looking for a bridge to jump off of.

Needless to say, with my new studying habits (complete with bonus stiff neck and sore eyes -- what a bargain!) I don't have a lot of time to cook.  Which is sort of problematic when you run a food blog.  With that said, I'm going to apologize in advance if (more like when) the posts here slow down a bit.  

Alright, with that out of the way (whew!) we can move on to more exciting things like kale.  If my brother were reading this, he'd go, "Liz, kale is not exciting."

Well, dear brother, you are WRONG.  

I had a phase last year where I went through kale like no one's business.  I ate it raw.  I sauteed it.  I always said I would make chips but never actually got around to it.  Regardless, I was sort of in love with kale.  And then I moved back home and we didn't have grocery stores that carried it.  The horror!  After having about a day where I was just inconsolable (not really, but I did miss it) I promptly forgot about kale and continued on with my summer.

Well, I found this picture on my iPhoto and have decided that I need kale in my life again.  And if that can't happen, then I need to get it in yours.  Here the kale is sauteed and garnished with a healthy dash of pepper and squeeze of lemon.  I like kale paired with acidic flavors, and the lemon does just that.  This is great as side dish or can even be used as a main if you tossed some tofu or beans with it.

Lemon-Pepper Kale


Ingredients:

1 large handful of kale
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 lemon
1 tsp pepper

Directions:

Heat a saute pan over medium heat.  Add the oil and saute kale just until bright green, about 1 minute.  Pour in the water and let simmer until the stalks are tender, about 10-15 minutes.  Add the lemon and pepper, and toss to coat.

9 comments:

  1. i have not found a recipe for kale that I like or my husband will even touch, so I am going to have to try this! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I hope you guys like it!

      Delete
    2. Hello everyone, am very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr olu a great herbal doctor who help me enlarge my penis size.3.2 cm to 8.3 cm longer with his herbal cream mixture, my girlfriend is now so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis , if you you are also in need of help on how to enlarge your penis to become bigger and stronger I adverse you to contact Dr on his email (drolusolutionhome@gmail.com) ) you or contact on whatsapp number +2348140654426 because he is one of the best herbal doctor that i can only show you up to, if your penis is 4.2 cm and want to get it reach 9.2 cm within three weeks i Dr olu is also specialized on obey m breast and boobs enlargement i advise you to contact him for help

      Delete
  2. my husband just started his 3L year - I can say from watching him through the process...it gets easier!!! Good luck with 1L!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm the only blogger who still hasn't tried kale! Hopefully you'll still have time to cook on breaks from law school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made time! Already have a cookie recipe ready to go :D And you must try kale! It's one of my favorites!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Liz, I completely understand the increased stress level and looong nights in the library. I recently started my second year of medical school and I've also found the kale gets me excited too! Particularly when it's either tossed in olive oil and baked to a crisp or blended with some lemon juice, iced water, and a banana. Both are quick and easy ways to get great nutrition and a satisfying snack. Best of luck and have fun in law school :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great as side dish. I honestly say that i will try this at home.I am a writer in case study report writing. I like cooking in my spare time. It makes happy.

    ReplyDelete