Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake

I don't make cakes very often. Living alone is part of the problem. You don't want to make a cake and then end up with half of it in your refrigerator. I've done this, and let me tell you, a big fat slice sounds pretty good when you're watching Netflix at eleven o'clock at night. And if you're rolling in around two in the morning? Yeah, that half of a cake will be gone before you even realize sugar and the aftertaste of stale beer don't mix.

So, Liz does not make cakes very often.

I had some friends over this weekend, though, which gave me the perfect excuse to break out my cake pans and get baking. The gathering was Valentines Day themed (complete with unapologetic viewings of schmoopy romantic comedies) so I made a love-filled-red velvet cake!

My attempt to be artsy in picture composition. Feel free to mock.

I was a little worried about this one because my oven decided to be a bit wonky, but it turned out really well. Also, apparently I have a signature when it comes to frosting cakes. My friend-who I've made a cake for before-walked into my apartment and went, "Liz, I can tell you frosted this cake. It looks just like the other one."

I don't completely know what this means, but I'm going to take it as a compliment.


Speaking of frosting, it is to die for. The frosting-a brown sugar cream cheese buttercream-was pretty fan-freaking-tastic. I almost ate it straight from the bowl. Actually, since we're all friends here, I did eat it straight from the bowl.

And the subsequent stomach ache was just lovely.

I also made some dark chocolate truffles to serve alongside the cake. Recipe to come!

The recipe for the cake is already posted HERE. It was my birthday cake over the summer :D

What did you guys do this weekend?

13 comments:

  1. This looks super delicious, girl! There are only two of us in the house, but I still don't frequently make cakes because I don't want it sitting in our fridge calling our names, haha! I make them for events/parties mostly. :) Ps. I think your artsy-ness is adorable in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake is looking really good! "Let them Eat Cake" should be a national holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made my very first frosted layer cake a couple of weeks ago and now I'm starting to get obsessed with baking cakes! This looks great and the frosting does sound incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must try the frosting!! I seriously want to put it on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - brown sugar cream cheese buttercream frosting sounds RIDICULOUS!!!

    I'm baking my BFF's wedding cake next weekend - I might need to get involved with this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous cake! I can practically taste it from here. I'm so glad to have found your blog! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love an excuse to make cake :) And you're totally right...eating it at 2am is definitely a crummy excuse! Glad to ehar you had a good weekend with friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is something about rainbow sprinkles that still makes me excited. It just makes everything better. Looks awesome!

    XO,
    Catherine
    (Click here to enter my anthropologie kitchen tools giveaway.)

    ReplyDelete