Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon

Brussels sprouts get a bad rap. All those jokes about kids not wanting to eat them. Adults turning their noses up at them.

Poor brussels sprouts, clearly misunderstood. When prepared correctly, brussels sprouts have the potential to be superb. Delicious. Food-gasmic.

These brussels sprouts I am showing you are very special. They start with a quick bath in some boiling water and then are sliced in half. Next, they cavort with some heated oil and then a dash of lemon.

Make this recipe and you will never misunderstand the brussel sprout again.

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon

1/2 pound Brussels Sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
fresh lemon juice
salt/pepper

Bring a pot of water to a boil and then add the brussels sprouts. Boil until they are tender, roughly 8-10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a separate plate and let cool. Meanwhile, heat up the olive oil in a non-stick skillet. As that heats, carefully slice all brussels sprouts in half. Add them to the heated oil, making one layer. You will have to do this in several batches. Saute until a nice brown crust forms and then flip over for the other side. Remove to a plate and add the salt/pepper, and a squirt of lemon juice.

11 comments:

  1. I always forget about brussel sprouts -thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! You can't forget brussels sprouts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those little things! Everytime I eat them, I think of the time my friend was like "Mary!! Have you tried these things yet?! They're like baby cabbages!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever eaten them... seriously! And, as an adult, I'm almost ashamed to admit that. Alright, so here's a question for you - how do you know when they're done boiling!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome! I need to buy some and try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never ate them until recently and now i'm obsessed with them!!!! Never tried them with lemon tho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I re-discovered Brussel Sprouts this year (after a childhood and early-adulthood spent hating them) and now I love them! I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww brussel sprouts do get a bad rap. I need to incorporate more of them into our diet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMM brussel sprouts = LOVE!

    Your blog is so cute! I love it and can't wait to read more... I just started my blog about two months ago - it is so addicting :) Check it out if you get a chance: http://oatsandspice.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love roasted brussels sprouts. I add lemon too for an extra bit of pop. I think they only get a bad rep because of the smell :)

    ReplyDelete