Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Monday, January 24, 2011

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones

I am not a kneader.

I can cream. I can mix. I can fold. Kneading, though, not so much. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my dough always loves to stick. And I hate getting my hands all doughy.


Well, friends, for this recipe I kneaded my little heart out. And you know what? I kinda liked it.

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp cold butter
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place rack in the upper third of oven.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut the butter into the flour mixture, using two knives. When the butter is nearly incorporated, use your fingertips to mix into a coarse meal. In a separate bowl mix together the egg and buttermilk. Add to the flour mixture and mix with a spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips.

On a floured surface knead the dough about 15 times. Using your hands, pat into a 1-inch thick disk.

Cut into either 4 or 6 squares and put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 13-15 minutes until the tops are golden.



15 comments:

  1. Yum! Those sound fantastic. I'll definitely have to try this. Wonder if there's anything to sub buttermilk with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wouldn't sub anything in for it. If you don't have buttermilk, it is really simple to make. Just add 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Mix together and let sit for a few minutes! I actually did that for this recipe because my grocery store didn't have any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate having dough stick to my hands too! Though these look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate doughy hands too! If only there was a way to make dough without making a giant mess :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well they look beautiful! Sometimes, the mess is totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look so unique and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scones! And when chocolate chips are added they are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm those look amazing!

    I LOVE getting doughy hands, I'll do it for you! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i LOVE LOVE LOVE scones. my mama made them all the time growing up. wow she never tried a delicious chocolate chip version like yours tho! this looks insanely yummy!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally not a Kneeder either! But these look worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, must try :)

    candiesandcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to make scones but haven't tried yet -these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried this and it worked out GREAT! So yummy and taste delish! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i CAN ATTEST THAT THESE SCONES ARE DELICIOUS WITH OR WITHOUT A CUP OF COFFEE. THE BEST PART IS I DIDN'T HAVE TO MAKE THEM. ALL YOU MOM'S OUT THERE, THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO EAT THEM!!! LOVE, MOM

    ReplyDelete