Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Monday, January 17, 2011

Butternut Squash Risotto

I believe I posted this last year, but it's worth revisiting.

Risotto.

Is there any more perfect comfort food? It's warm and chewy. Hearty and heart-warming. I know that when I am having a stressful week, I don't want pasta. I don't want bread. I want risotto.

I want the starchiness. I want the creaminess. And I want the thoughtless calm of plopping on my stool before the stove and just stirring.


And stirring.

Risotto. It's good stuff.

Butternut Squash Risotto

Ingredients:

1 small butternut squash
1 small-medium onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup parmesan
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp butter

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, heat the stock and vanilla extract. Once it has boiled, reduce to a simmer and add the butternut squash. Cook until the squash is tender, roughly 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.


While the squash cooks, chop your onion.


Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened, roughly 3 minutes. Add the rice and coat with butter and onion. Next, add the wine and stir until it has absorbed. Begin to add the stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring constantly. Add more stock as the rice absorbs it. Continue until the rice is tender, but still firm to bite. The risotto should be creamy, roughly 20 minutes.

Please excuse my messy stovetop

Stir in the butternut squash, parmesan cheese, and final tablespoon of butter. Enjoy!


20 comments:

  1. I've never eaten or made risotto. I think I am missing out...your description makes it sound AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I pulled up a chair to my stove I could probably manage the exhausting process of making risotto - brilliant idea! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have the right color sweater on for this recipe! it sounds delicious
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Katherine- omg, I totally do!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never understood exactly what Risotto is ;)...it looks like rice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @bakingnbooks- ha, yeah it essentially is rice. But it's like rice on crack. Seriously good. Seriously addictive. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog! Cute blog! Love that shot of you. :)

    I've still never made risotto... that's something I really need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe, girl (s)!
    Comfort food at its finest :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh that is definitely worth repeating - looks like perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love risotto! I never do butternut squash though...this sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I found this blog. I'm a college girl blogger too! unfortunately I'm still stuck in the dorms... I can't wait to have a kitchen like you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @brittfit- yay for us college bloggers!!! I hope you continue to visit :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've made this with a real vanilla bean. i HIGHLY recommend it! makes the dish absolutely superb!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love risotto, but I never have the patience to make it at home - so I've only had restaurant versions! I'm pretty sure this would be better than most restaurant food - so I am going to take the plunge and make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this sounds delicious! I made butternut squash quinoa last night. I wanted to add white wine but we didn't have any open. It probably would have been better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your picture of you sitting and stirring is so cute. I have never made my own risotto. Love the flavours.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl, that looks divine!!! What perfect comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never made risotto-but that looks goooood!
    Hope it made you a little less stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so right! Risotto is a great comfort food!! Never tried a squash risotto though. Cool idea!

    ReplyDelete