Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Panna Cotta with Fresh Strawberries

I've always wanted to make panna cotta.  It's such an elegant dessert and the name's fun to say.  I've had it on my back-burner-of-desserts for quite a while, but when the occasion would come I usually went for something more decadent.

Which is insane considering that this uses three cups of heavy whipping cream.


Panna cotta is a cooked Italian cream typically found in the Northern region of Italy.  It's a mixture of milk, cream and sugar that is cooked and then set in the refrigerator.  It's similar to creme brulee without the carmelized topping.  Panna cotta can be flavored with a variety of ingredients, but this one is sweetened with honey.

The great thing about this dessert is that it is very rich, but it doesn't weight you down.  The Italian cream is silky in texture and pairs beautifully with the fresh berries.  The crazy brief prep time before the chilling doesn't hurt either.  In less than fifteen minutes (not counting chilling) you have a delicious and elegant dessert that is sure to impress all your dinner party guests!


Panna Cotta with Fresh Strawberries




Ingredients:


2 cups whole milk
1 tbsp unflavored powdered gelatin
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup honey
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup strawberries, chopped


Directions:


In a saucepan, mix together the milk and powdered gelatin.  Let sit for 5 minutes, softening the gelatin. Put the saucepan over medium heat, and whisk for 5 minutes.  Do not let the mixture boil.  Remove from heat and add mix in heavy whipping cream, honey and sugar, about 2 minutes.  Pour into either ramekins or wine glasses and let cool before covering and putting in the refrigerator.  Set either over night or for at least 6 hours.  Add the berries and serve.




Source:  Everyday Italian

9 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I have yet to try making panna cotta, but that needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it off because I thought it would be difficult, and that is so not the case! Definitely try it out soon :D

      Delete
  2. Yum! I've never made panna cotta but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW thank you so much for sweet words on my blog:)

    I saw you like orange..I will soon have a post about that color..so come back visit me soon:)

    Have a great weekend.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I will!! And thanks for visiting here, as well :D

      Delete
  4. I'm super impressed...this looks delicious!

    Whipping cream always throws me for a loop for some reason...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this is just beautiful! I can't think of a better summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete