Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Friday, July 27, 2012

Mediterranean Couscous with Olives and Artichokes

Yesterday I spent the entire day helping my dad move his office down a floor in the hospital.  It was hours of lifting boxes and pulling carts.  Oh boy, I hurt in places I didn't even know it was possible to hurt.  I'm counting this as my daily workout, because my butt hurts WAY more than it does after sets of squats.  So, there you go.


I know posts have been less frequent here, and it's basically because I'm home and no longer cooking like a beast.  My mom makes most of the meals (we're the typical nuclear family) and I feel weird making us wait ten minutes before eating so I can snap pictures.  Not that my family would mind.  My dad always makes these weird salad concoctions (believe me, they are NASTY) and goes, 'Liz, want to take a picture of this for your blog?'.  I usually tell him that since most of the world lacks his iron stomach and affinity for gherkins, I'd better steer clear.


This salad made me think of him, though.  He's notorious for making salads with all the odds and ends in our fridge.  Marinated artichokes.  Pickles.  Left over pork.  Doesn't matter what it is -- it'll go in the salad and be smothered in Western dressing.  This couscous salad doesn't involve pickles or Western dressing (Thank God), but it does have a bit of everything in it.  Mixed together with fresh basil and a light balsamic vinaigrette, it's the perfect summer meal.

Mediterranean Couscous with Olives and Artichokes



1 2/3 cup Israeli couscous
1 tbsp olive oil
1 3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sliced olives
1 cup chickpeas, rinsed
5 artichoke hearts, quartered 
1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 cucumber, quartered and sliced
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt/pepper


Directions:


Cook couscous according to directions on package.


Combine all the ingredients, up to the balsamic vinegar.  In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic and olive oil until emulsified.  Pour into the couscous mixture and toss to coat.  Serve either on its own or with a main dish.


9 comments: