Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Spicy African Peanut Soup

Two months ago I started an internship with a local non-profit. To say that it was a change for me would be an understatement. Suddenly I was waking up at 7:30, neck-deep in Excel sheets, and constantly accidentally hanging up on people because of the office phone. A note on that last one, when people say that using an office phone is easy, they are lying. Seriously. With all those buttons and flashing lights. If you are even slightly technologically challenged watch out.

Another new thing to me was packing my own lunch. The last time I had a packed lunch was high school. And my mother may or may not have packed it for me. Now, though, I obviously can't ask my mom to do it for me. She would, of course, but the heckling I'd receive would far out-weight the extra ten minutes in the morning.

In an effort to have smooth mornings, I've taken to bringing soup to work. First, I used those powdered ones that grocery stores carry. But then I microwaved one and my coworker thought I was burning down the office. Yes, it did smell that bad. So, I threw away the powdered soup with enough sodium for five years, and instead made my own.

You may recognize this recipe. If not, you'll surely recognize the cookbook.


A little note on this cookbook. It is the most amazing thing that will ever pass through your hands. It is vegan without being preachy. The recipes don't include ingredients that cost you a kidney. And it is peppered with the most adorable pictures. Buy it. Now.

Spicy African Peanut Soup

Ingredients:

1 14 oz can chickpeas
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 can roasted tomatoes with juice
1 can lite coconut milk
4 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2-1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
dash cinnamon
stevia to taste
2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup red lentils

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Set it on high and cook for a half hour. Turn down to low and continue to cook for 3-4 hours.

OR

Combine all ingredients into a dutch oven. Bring to a simmer and cook 25-30 minutes.

Source: Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love

3 comments:

  1. This soup sounds awesome! I need to order this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this soup looks amazing! I actually flipped through that book the other day and couldn't put it down! So many cute stories and great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The truth is I love being up to my neck in Excel spreadsheets...I think you too will grow to love them. :)

    Great recipe. I can't wait to find this book at the bookstore!

    ReplyDelete