Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Monday, August 8, 2011

Caramel and Macadamia Cheesecake

This cheesecake made me realize several valuable things.

- I never put my springform pan back in the correct spot. Thus, I can never find it.

- I cannot spell springform. For most of this post I've typed springfoarm. Yes, I am one year away from being college educated.

- Caramel is much harder to make than it looks.

- Remnants of said caramel on pans is much harder to get off than it looks.

The cheesecake was part of a challenge from the Heavenly Housewife's blog. With my love of all things cheese and dessert, my participation was a no-brainer. It's a bit more involved than my usual dessert, but definitely manageable. Believe me, if I can make it while belting Glee songs and slamming cabinet doors looking for that damn springform pan, anyone can.

Caramel and Macadamia Cheesecake


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup graham crackers, crushed
4 1/2 tbsp butter

2 blocks cream cheese
1 small package sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs

1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup macadamia nuts (or your choice)

1 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the cake:

Melt the butter for the crust in a microwave save bowl. Add the crushed graham crackers and mix together. Press into the bottom of a springform pan. Set aside.


In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. Add the cream cheese, breaking it into smaller pieces before adding it to the bowl. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla. Pour over the graham cracker crust. Bake for 50 minutes, or until the top is firm. Let cool on a wire rack.


For the nut topping:

In your preheated oven, roast the nuts for 10-15 minutes. Remove and let cool on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Meanwhile, heat the sugar in a heavy bottomed skillet.


Do not stir. When the sugar has turned golden brown, pour over the nuts. Once cooled, break into uneven pieces.



For the caramel sauce:

In a heavy bottomed soup pan, heat the sugar with the same method as above. Once it has turned golden brown add the butter and whisk vigorously. When the sugar has dissolved, remove the pan from heat and pour in the milk. Mix together and then set aside to cool.

Combine all ingredients once cooled. And...enjoy!




Make sure to check out the other bakers!

9 comments:

  1. The cheesecake looks fabulous. I'm not sure what a springform cake tin is, let alone have one to lose! Great pictures of everything as you're making it. GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done daaaaahling! I feel the same way, now that I've made this cake which was well out of my comfort zone, I know feel I can tackle any cheesecake... and I will :D. Thank you so much for participating, enjoy your gorgeous cake!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Your cheesecake looks delicious! I like the almonds on top and the caramel is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you used almonds! I almost did that myself. Your cake looks extra caramel-ly, which I think was the best part really. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it worrying that I have my springform pan within reach at all times??? I guess I make a lot of cheesecake...Yours looks extra luscious with all that caramel! I almost used almonds because I didn't want to go to the store but macadamias are my favourite so I went and got some. It was a good cheesecake...mine's all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cheesecake looks amazing! I agree with you that caramel is much harder to make than it looks as I managed to burn mine this time. Oh well live and learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cheesecake looks so positively scrumptious! I wish I had another piece! My family devoured it already. I had a hard time finding macadamia's - almost used almonds too. I fill my caramel pans with water and boil to melt the caramel off easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the generous topping and ooey gooeyness of the caramel makes this a WINNER! i can even call this 'sexy'.. thats how yummy it is hehe <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! now that is one perfect cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete