Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crinkle-Top Cookies

Last week I was in the kitchen a lot.

A relative of mine was in the hospital and I took it harder than expected. I've grown up with everyone being relatively healthy. At 21 years old I still have four healthy grandparents and minimum health problems with everyone else. Theoretically, I knew there would be a time when someone got sick, but these last 21 years told me, "Not yet." I still had time.

My relative did leave the hospital and is now recovering at home. I get more time. But the incident reminded me of just how quickly and abruptly time can be taken away. We don't live forever-we can't-and it made me recognize that I have to cherish every moment that I have with the ones I love.

Baking got me through last week. I find something calming in the routine tedium of measuring flour, sugar, baking powder. I like the manual labor of combining all of the ingredients with a well-used wooden spoon. It takes my mind off of everything else.

I baked these cookies for my relative and her husband, and they were a hit. While she couldn't eat them in the hospital, she did call me after she was discharged and said they were wonderful.

On a lighter note, I made them only about two hours before leaving for the hospital without realizing the dough had to be chilled. After a chorus of swear words, I plopped the dough in the freezer for a bit and then just added a few minutes to the oven time. Crisis averted.

Crinkle-Top Cookies


Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
9 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Combine the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a separate microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Mix in the cocoa and let cool.

Once the butter-cocoa mixture is cooled, add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and combine with either a whisk or electric mixer. Beat in the flour mixture.

Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Or put in the freezer and say several prayers.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Take out the chilled dough and pull off walnut-sized pieces, forming into balls. Roll the balls around in sugar and then place on cookie sheet. Make sure there is 2 inches between all the cookies.


Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are firm to touch. The top should look crinkled. Cool completely on wire wracks.



Source: The Best Bake Sale Cookbook

5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your relative, but glad that she is back home! These cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your relative. I'm glad to see they are out of the hospital.

    Your cookies look good and I love how you packaged them! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your relative, but glad they are back home. I bake when I'm upset or stressed too. I think it's the best therapy...other than maybe running :) I make cookies like these at Christmas time and roll them in powdered sugar instead of granulated before baking. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, I'm so sorry. I know what you mean, though. I've only lost one grandparent (just a few years ago) and I had my great-grandmother in my life up until I was 13. My family is all healthy and I've never had a close friend pass away. It's hard to realize that the time is coming when I will have to say some serious goodbyes. I'm so glad you had baking to help bring you some peace this week. *hugs* Glad your relative is doing better now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry daaahling :(, it is the worst thing to see someone you love in pain. I am glad that baking brings you some kind of piece of mind. For me, when I'm stressed, I clean, which is strange because I hate cleaning! THe cookies look delicious.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete