This weekend I celebrated my first legal St. Patrick's Day. To say that it was an experience would be putting it lightly. Never before have I seen such public drunkenness. Part of me hated the crowds (we know my issue with slow walkers) but I couldn't deny the drunken poetic beauty of an entire city off its rocker.
I saw a lot of things Saturday, some things that I wish I could un-see. I did learn a lot, though.
1. Never wear flip flops to a bar. Ever. I wore a pair on Saturday and I my feet literally became glued to the beer covered floor.
2. Also, when people say that they are going to drink all day on St. Patrick's Day, they mean ALL DAY. I walked past a bar at 8 am and was dumbfounded by the drunken-green-clad-line of people stretching out the door.
3. I went to the beach and saw a bunch of guys doing drunken yoga. I would like to give the highest of fives to whomever thought this was a good idea. As for the girls doing drunken handstands behind them? Yeah, no high fives for you.
4. Irish men, contrary to your belief, you are not made any sexier by it being St. Patrick's Day. So check your rolicking brogue at the door and stop trying to put the moves on me.
5. And as for all the people who pointed out that I was wearing a green dress as if it were some world-class-discovery, kudos to you. Congratulations on pointing out that I was wearing green on St. Patrick's Day. You're real winners.