Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lemon Crinkle Cookies

I am officially done with college.  Which, you know, is sort of crazy considering that for four years I had homework and papers, and now I don't have anything.  I don't even have a summer job (although I have something in the works) so I am truly having some down time.  I am a lady of leisure (pronounced lay-sure, because I am fancy like that).


I had grand ideas of this meaning writing dates at Starbucks where I would finally hunker down and start that original novel that has been on the back burner for as long as I can remember.  I also envisioned myself working out daily.  Maybe vaccuming at some point.  Instead, I have sat on my floor with my laptop and watched half of the last season of Grey's Anatomy, all 5 season of The Guid and about half of Firefly.  I also watched the 25th Anniversary Les Miserables DVD and sang along obnoxiously loud.  My neighbors love me.

I'm giving myself a free pass for doing nothing because in three months I will be entering my first year of law school and relinquishing anything resembling a social life.  Therefore, let's dance Netflix Instant.  Our time together is limited.


In between marathon-television-watching sessions, I did manage to do some baking.  I made these cookies for my last day in the office last week.  I finished my semester long internship and wanted to end it on a sweet note.  The office liked these, and I think you will, too!  They're not overly sweet with a delectable tartness from the lemon.

Lemon Crinkle Cookies




1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.


In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the vanilla, egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix together until combined.  Slowly mix in the flour mixture.  


Take 1 tbsp of dough and roll in the powdered sugar.  Place onto a prepared cookie sheet, placing the dough balls about 2 inches apart.  Bake 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are no longer shiny on top.  They will NOT be browned, so make sure to not overbake.




Source:  Mel's Kitchen Café

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on you first summer with no homework :)Enjoy it, you don't get long summer vacations when you start working! The cookies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to enjoy myself! Thank you :D

      Delete
  2. you're killin' me with these recipes, liz! lemon desserts are my fav!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must make these, Sarah!!! They've become my new favorite cookie!

      Delete
  3. Mmm... these look so great! And hey, I am so glad that you get to enjoy your summer this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I plan on enjoying my free time immensely :D

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! You totally earned that free time break :) And these cookies! I've made a chocolate version at Christmas before, but love the lemon for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I've made the chocolate ones, too! Good cookies :D

      Delete
  5. lemon crinkle cookies?! Yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete