Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Growing Pains and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending my good friend Autumn's wedding.  Autumn is my first friend to get married, and it was both a wonderful and slightly strange experience.  Friends getting married means that you are officially adults, right?  How did that happen?  I feel like it was just yesterday that I was a freshman at Loyola, anxious about making friends and navigating a new life with such horrors as shared bathrooms and laundry.

I actually met Autumn during that freshman year at Loyola.  She lived on my floor, as did the two friends who took the train with me to the wedding.  


An old picture from freshman year.  Yes, that is a Twilight t-shirt on me.  Feel free to mock.

I feel so blessed to have these friends in my life, and hope that they will continue to be a part of my life as I move on to law school.

Okay, enough schmaltz.  This weekend had me getting a bit nostalgic (and weepy) but I will spare you any additional saccharine memories.  Instead, I bring you a cookie recipe.  


These are great cookies to eat when you're feeling all weepy and nostalgic over a friend's wedding and how you are no longer eight and can't order from the kid's menu at restaurants.  They're also just really good cookies.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

(Adapted from Annie's Eats recipe)


1 cup butter (very cold and cubed)
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until combined.  Mix in the cocoa powder until incorporated.  Slowly add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix together.  Fold in the peanut butter chips.

Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until the dough comes together.  This won't take too long.  Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and bake 4-6 cookies at a time for 16-20 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack.



Any of you going through some growing pains?

10 comments:

  1. Chocolate and peanut butter is always a winner in my book! Cookies are looking great! Very thick :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, these ended up being super-sized cookies! All the better for afternoon snacking :D

      Delete
  2. Aww hooray for weddings! I remember when all my friends were getting married. It was so weird, but even weirder is that now all my friends are having babies! O.o Time flies!

    Also, your cookies look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want that to be way, way in the future for me! lol

      Delete
  3. These cookies look delicious! You had me at peanut butter! Love your blog, just subscribed and can't wait to follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. while I'm married myself, I still don't feel like an adult many times...and now I have lots of friends having kids! Those strange feelings never really go away... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I just saw this post! This weekend was soo much fun, and we're so lucky to have you as a friend too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. these cookies look great! can't believe we're so old, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm these look awesome!! PB and chocolate is always such a winning combination! And my first friend to get married had her wedding in January. It's nuts!

    ReplyDelete