Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pasta with Squash and Honey Cinnamon Compote Butter

How was everyone's Halloween?!

Did you all dress up? I was planning on being a homicidal housewife but when I heard that the fake blood could stain my dress I very quickly dropped the homicidal and added a spoon to my apron pocket. Voila! 1950's housewife!

Friday night I went to an event on campus and then Saturday night was my very first bar crawl. That's going in the baby book. I learned a lot of things about bar crawls that night. First off, it is unbelievably crowded, which leads to a lot of unintentional touching. The food goes in about five minutes; which is unfortunate for those who get there after ten. And finally, if you have a wooden spoon in your pocket people will try to take it--especially people you don't know.

It was a really fun weekend, though, even with the crowds and spoon-snatchers. It was my first Halloween in the city and I'm looking forward to many more.

Unfortunately, I neglected to take any pictures and my one friend who did is hoarding them on her camera. You will see them eventually. At this rate, next Halloween.

Another thing that made this weekend (and Monday) wonderful was all the fantastic I'm-going-to-regret-this-in-the-morning food. There was the pumpkin cupcake on Friday. The cheeseburger and french fries at one in the morning Sunday. And then yesterday, all the fun size candy that I could shove in my mouth. I'm ready to get a little green in my diet that isn't a jello shot.

Save that for next weekend.

Pasta with Squash and Honey Cinnamon Compote Butter

Ingredients:

1 lb pasta
1 butternut squash
1 cup broccoli
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp honey
1 tsp honey

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Peel and slice the squash into bite size pieces.

In a small ramekin, melt the butter and honey. Add the cinnamon and mix together. Pour evenly over the squash. Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning over halfway through.

On a separate baking sheet, pour broccoli and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar over broccoli. Roast for 15-20 minutes either with the squash or afterwards.

Boil pasta according to instructions. Add the squash and broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment