Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sweet Potato Lentil Stew

Want to know the scariest six letter word for a college student?

Finals.

Six innocent, innocuous letters prove positively terrifying when linked together. I am breaking out into hives just thinking about it.

In general, I am not a nervous tester. I do my preparation, I know the material, and there is little to worry about. Finals are different, though. I think it has to do with the finality of it all. It's the last grade. Last chance.

Anyway, in an attempt to not entirely freak out over it all, I am going to share a recipe with you. It is delicious. It is quick. And it is warm and filling. Not going to lie-I ate this for three meals one day. It's that good.

Sweet Potato Lentil Stew

Ingredients:

2-3 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup lentils
7 cups stock
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coriander

Directions:

Peel the sweet potatoes and cube into uniform sized pieces. Put the potatoes and lentils into a large soup bowl and cover with the stock. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Add the spices and let simmer for 40 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

Serve on its own or over some brown rice or spinach.

6 comments:

  1. The next best thing to sweet potatoe lentil stew during finals, is to have someone else prepare it for you. Break is coming soon!!!!!!
    Your wish is my command!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this looks so freaking good!!! and healthy...i seriously want this right now.

    -dixon

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds delicious - is it really SEVEN cups of stock? i would think it would look more soup-ish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did call for seven and I found it a bit soupy. I ended up straining a bit of the liquid out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finals were the reason I decided never to get an MBA. I simply can't handle the pressure!

    I can, on the other hand, handle your delicious lentil stew. Feel free to send some of your leftovers my way!!

    ReplyDelete