Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies



Every Thursday I have lunch with some friends from high school. Last week my friend Amanda said, "Liz, you should bring us cookies every Thursday."

It was a joke, but I never pass up an opportunity to pass my baking adventures onto my friends. Besides, I get to sample a few myself which totally makes it all worthwhile. So, this morning I ventured into my kitchen and set out to make some cookies.

But not just any cookies, my friends.

These are double chocolate chunk cookies with not a bit of cocoa powder in them. You know that means? Twenty ounces of semi-sweet chocolate.

I blanched at the grocery bill for this one-luckily the results are pretty fan-freaking-tastic.

Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Ingredients:

8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp sea salt (plus more for sprinkling)
2 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped coarsely

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a microwave safe bowl, combine 8 oz of chocolate and the butter. Microwave at 30 seconds increments until the chocolate and butter are completely melted. Make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar and eggs with a handheld mixer until the sugar is completely dissolved, roughly 4-5 minutes. With the mixer on low, add the chocolate and mix until well-combined. Using a spatula, mix in the flour. Make sure to scrape down the sides. Fold in the remaining 12 oz chocolate with a spatula.

Either spray your cookie sheets with cooking spray or use parchment paper. Scoop heaping tablespoons of the batter onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through. The cookies should have crackly tops and be slightly soft in the center when done.

Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the cookie sheets for ten minutes. Sprinkle the cookies with extra salt.

Source: Annie's Eats

7 comments:

  1. I am a huge salt eater and I love a cookie that mixes both the sweet and savory together. This one looks like a winner...feel free to send me your Thursday leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made chocolate chip cookies topped with sea salt and LOVED the sweet n salty combo. Your double chocolate makes them double as good I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies are FAB U LOUS ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! I'm experimenting with a sea salt cookie recipe this morning;) I'm very excited to see how it turns out. I'm a rookie when it comes to topping cookies with sea salt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joslyn, that's too funny!! This was my first time topping cookies with sea salt too, but I really liked it! The contrast between sweet and salty is a classic, after all :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! i can't even imagine...it might be a good idea for me to not make these because i don't know if i can exhibit self-control!

    ReplyDelete