Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Oatmeal, Cranberry and Chocolate Chunk Cookies


I made these cookies on a whim.  I had a friend over earlier this week and thought, "Hey, what better way to pass the time than to heat up my apartment to an unbearable temperature by using my oven?"  For some reason, my oven is mightier than my air conditioner, and whenever I want to bake I have to dress like I'm in Bermuda.


I bought Giada's Weeknight Meals a few weeks ago, and have been cooking like crazy from it.  There are so many fantastic recipes that I can't wait to try.  My latest foray into the cookbook were these oatmeal, cranberry and chocolate chunk cookies.  To put it succinctly, they're winners.  I have fed them to no less than four friends, and as far as I know no one has keeled over.  So, great success!

Oatmeal, Cranberry and Chocolate Chunk Cookies


Ingredients:


1 cup flour
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 bar semi-sweet chocolate, chunked


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until smooth.  Gradually add in the flour mixture.  Mix in the oats, cranberries and chocolate.  

Scoop 1/4 cup of the dough onto a prepared baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart.  Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the cookies are slightly golden at the edges.  Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.


Source: Giada's Weeknight Meals

13 comments:

  1. These sound great! I love oatmeal cookies with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The batch was gone in less than three days, so I would definitely recommend them!

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! Oatmeal cookies are my biggest weakness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too!! I need to stop making them so often! lol

      Delete
  3. dang it, Liz! another recipe i need to make like...ASAP.

    haha love that you bake on hot days, too! i always wonder why the baking bug always bites on those days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's clearly some sort of conspiracy to make all of us over-use our air conditioners!

      Delete
  4. These cookies look delicious! It's been too long since I've made oatmeal cookies, I must fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos! And these cookies look incredible! You can't beat the cranberry/chocolate/oatmeal combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh really??? I always feel like my photos are so bad! Thanks Cait!

      Delete
  6. I love cranberries in oatmeal cookies! And definitely agree, your pictures in this post are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete