Mission Statement

Culinary Adventures in a College Kitchen

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Red Velvet Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting

One of the best things about my birthday was being able to make my own birthday cake. I rarely have an occasion to make cakes and was so excited about this one that I planned an entire month in advance. I searched all over the internet for something fun to make and found so many wonderful options (Guinness Chocolate Cake? Yes, please!) but I ultimately settled on something that I knew everyone would love.

Red Velvet.


I adored this cake. The color is beautiful and the cream cheese frosting tastes like something straight from heaven. This was one of those cakes that the leftovers were immediately sent to neighbors. It was that dangerously good.

Red Velvet Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting


Cake Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp vinegar (I used distilled white)
1 tsp vanilla
2 oz food coloring

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9 inch cake pans and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the two eggs. Add the other liquid ingredients and mix gently. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Pour into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

For frosting, wait until the cake is completely cool. Finish with some toasted coconut or colorful sprinkles.

Frosting Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter
8 0z cream cheese
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
4-6 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tbsp milk

Directions:

First, make sure that your butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. Cream the cream cheese at medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the butter and repeat. Add the brown sugar, vanilla, salt and beat until it is well mixed. Turn off the mixer and add 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mix on low to avoid getting sugar down the front of your shirt. Alternate sugar with milk until you have the consistency you want.

Source: Bakerella (cake) and Joy The Baker (frosting)

6 comments:

  1. I was sold on trying to bake this just by seeing sprinkles. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I will definitely be following! Haha my birthday is in exactly one month and I am already thinking about my cake. This makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum!! homemade cake is so delicious. i'm also a huge fan of rainbow sprinkles for some reason. they're just so festive! wish you were my neighbor so i could have the leftovers. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so interesting that cake requires vinegar! This looks beautiful Liz! Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I love cake! And happy belated birthday Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE red velvet cake! :)

    ReplyDelete